Below are details for our weekend trip to Louisiana, March 28th and 29th. Feel free to join us for some or all of the rides.
March 28th (Saturday)
- Early ride option: (11 miles extra) Leaving from Tammany Trace – Caboose Trailhead at 8:00 a.m. The Caboose Trailhead is located just off I-12. Take Exit 65, then keep right onto LA-59 north 4/10th mi. then left on to Koop Rd, Mandeville) There is ample parking at this trailhead. We’ll leave from near the bathrooms beside the caboose. The early ride will be north through Abita Springs then on to Covington to enjoy the Covington Farmers Market (details here). We’ll return to Abita Springs for 11:30 a.m. lunch.
- 11:30 a.m. Lunch at Abita Springs Brew Pub (see their website for menu)
- 1:00 p.m. Mid-day Ride: Leaving from Abita Springs (right beside the Brew Pub) heading south to Mandeville (8.7 miles). We’ll enjoy the lakefront and marina areas then head on east, rejoining the Trace toward LaCombe and the drawbridge (9 miles) before returning to Mandeville. Riders can choose to make the full roundtrip, or wait in lovely Mandeville for our return.
- Riders are free to pick-and-choose optional legs throughout the day. Ride as much or as little as they choose. From Mandeville we’ll ride back to our our cars at either the Caboose or Abita Springs trailheads.
- Dinner plans to be determined by riders at the end of the day!
- There are many hotel options in the Mandeville-Covington area. Many of us are staying at the Covington Courtyard Hotel or at the Comfort Suites near the Caboose Trailhead.
March 29th (Sunday)
- 8:00-9:00 Drive from Covington to New Orleans (Metairie) $3.00 toll on Causeway bridge.
- 9:00 a.m. Ride along Lake Front Trail (15 miles roundtrip to Treasure Chest Casino on a dedicated bike/walking trail). Meet at Lake Front Trail Parking, 201 Metairie-Hammond Highway, Metairie, LA
- 11:30-12:30 Lunch (Maureen is working on exact location)
- 1:00-1:30 Drive from restaurant to City Park. Park at New Orleans City Park Boating, 8 Friedrichs Ave., New Orleans, LA
- 2:00 Ride at City Park (6 miles roundtrip). We’ll ride along a dedicated bike/walking path except for a ¼ mile section on a park road.